IRS Annual Filing Season Program2016 IRS Annual Filing Season Program
The IRS Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP) is a voluntary program, offered by the IRS, designed to encourage tax return preparers to participate in continuing education (CE) courses.
The program is voluntary and the IRS is not charging for the AFSP - Record of Completion. To obtain the Record of Completion, tax preparers are required to:
- Have an active PTIN.
- Complete continuing education from an IRS approved CE Provider like MTAP.
- Take the Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) course and test if required from a vendor like TaxBook.
Two Classifications of Tax Preparers
The IRS has determined two classifications of tax preparers:
1) Exempt from AFTR (Credentialed)
Tax Preparers with one of the following credentials are exempt from completing the AFTR course and test if they choose to participate in the AFSP:
- Enrolled Agent
- Enrolled Retirement Plan Agent
- Enrolled Actuary
- National and State Tests (More)
2) Non-Exempt from AFTR (Non-Credentialed)
Tax preparers are required to take the AFTR course and test in addition to the continuing education hours to receive the AFSP-Record of Completion.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
CPE taken between 1/1/2016 and 12/31/2016 will count as CE credit hours for the AFSP - Record of Completion.
Order Your IRS-approved AFTR Course
from the TaxBook Today for Only $64!
NOTE: You must use the MTAP-discounted order form or Code 342 to secure the $64 rate.